Karagandy province is spread from Balkhash Lake to Ulytau Mountains, havingcaptured the vast territory of Central Kazakhstan.
Historical sites of Karagandy province
- Karlag, one of the largest branches of the GULAG camps, where the victims of political repression were sent during Soviet period. Karlag Museum is located in the former administrative building of the Karlag camps in Dolinka village, Karagandy province.
- Blue domed mausoleum of Juchi Khan, the eldest son of Genghis Khan, located in Ulytau. Other mausoleums worth visiting are Alasha Khan mausoleum and Dombaul mausoleum.
- Petroglyphs of Zangyrtas and Terekty-Aulie or ancient city Kent and Beskamyr settlement if you wish to explore earlier history of this region.
Ideal places for trekking and taking photos
- Karkaraly National Park. Trekking up to the mountains through pine forest to the mystical lake Shaitan-Kol and Bassein, finding a Buddhist monastery in the mountains, and much more.
- An alien landscape of the Bektau Ata mountain range, located on the northern shore of Balkhash Lake, is a destination for unusual photos and bouldering.
- Kyzylarai mountains with Aksoran summit - the highest peak of Central Kazakhstan. Stay at guesthouses, meet locals and learn about life in small villages of Kazakhstan at Shabanbai bi village, located at the foothills of Aksoran.