In order to protect the life and health of the people the government of Kazakhstan imposed a state of emergency for the period from 08:00 a.m. on March 16, 2020 to 00:00 a.m. on May 11, 2020.
Statistics as of December 25, 2020:
The following measures were taken for the period of emergency:
- malls, cinemas, theaters, museums and other places visited by a large number of people were shut down;
- activity of non-essential services was limited;
- all public events were banned;
- Kazakhstan’s border was closed to foreign citizens with limited exceptions, including diplomats and delegations of international organizations;
- visa-free regime for 54 countries has been suspended until May 1, 2021. You can find additional information on the visa regime here.
As of December 25, 2020 Kazakhstan’s border largely remains closed to foreign citizens. However, Kazakhstan gradually restores international air traffic. Starting from June 20, Kazakhstan resumed international flights to/from China, South Korea, Japan, Georgia, Thailand, Hungary, India, Germany, Czech Republic, Malaysia, UAE, Belarus, Turkey, Egypt, Ukraine, Netherlands, Russia, Poland, Uzbekistan, and Tajikistan. For more information on international travel visit this page.
From July 5 until August 16, quarantine restrictions were reinstated throughout the country. Starting from August 17, 2020 Kazakhstan gradually lifts quarantine restrictions due to improvement in the epidemiological situation.
As of December 25, 2020 the following institutions are open in Kazakhstan (with strict compliance to social distancing, masks and other sanitary requirements):
- shopping malls (closed on Sundays), beauty salons, education centers and outdoor entertainment parks
- religious sites (no mass events allowed)
- swimming pools, gyms (only by appointment)
- museums, libraries, open-air and indoor movie theatres
- cafes, restaurants, food areas at shopping malls (up to a maximum of 50 people inside)
- theatres (up to a maximum of 50 people inside)
- national parks and nature reserves (for individuals and organized groups of no more than 15 people)
However, group events, including family gatherings remain prohibited. Bars, night clubs, indoor children's playgrounds, karaoke, billiards clubs remain closed.